By Jack Kelly
Government works better now than probably it ever has,” President Barack Obama told the Daily Show’s Jon Stewart last month. A partial list:
– Atrocious security at the Office of Personnel Management permitted the Chinese to acquire personal data on more than 21 million federal workers, most of them applicants for security clearances. The theft of background investigation data has created a massive threat to U.S. national security that will last for decades and cost billions to mitigate.
The Chinese didn’t even need to hack into OPM’s poorly secured database to get the info, because some Chinese nationals help manage it.
– The private email server Secretary of State Hillary Clinton used, possibly illegally, to conduct official business, probably was hacked by hostile foreign intelligence services, said former Deputy CIA Director Michael Morrell.
– One central task of the Department of Homeland Security is to secure our borders. DHS isn’t doing it. Illegal immigrants comprise 3 percent of the population and, by some counts, 30 percent of the federal prison population. We spent $1.87 billion to incarcerate violent illegal immigrant felons last year, according to freelance researcher Jay Bates.
Last year, DHS released into the general population 30,558 criminal aliens who among them had almost 80,000 convictions — including 250 homicides, 386 kidnappings, 373 sexual assaults, 994 aggravated assaults. Violent felons released by DHS in 2013 committed 1,000 additional crimes.
– In security tests, the Transportation Security Administration missed 95 percent of bombs and weapons.
– A year ago, the nation was scandalized by reports of secret waiting lists at Veterans Affairs hospitals and of senior managers falsifying records to collect bonuses. Since then, wait times have increased by 50 percent. A third of the vets on the waiting lists have died awaiting care. VA Secretary Robert McDonald falsely claimed that 60 employees were fired as a result of the scandals.
The greatest threat to America is government dysfunction, according to Robert Gates, Mr. Obama’s first secretary of defense. Americans agree. For the president to say government “works better now than probably it ever has” indicates he is delusional, dishonest or both. Which does much to explain why the government he heads is dysfunctional. (my emphasis)
READ all of Jack Kelly’s comments from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette here .